Thursday, October 6, 2011

SUNSET AT CATHEDRAL

     This painting was done at Cathedral Rock in Sedona Arizona at sunset. The sun was down when I was putting on the finishing touches. This is a very spiritual place where many people come from all over the world to see. It is the most photographed spot of anywhere in the world. (That's what I was told anyway). I only painted a small portion of the rock formation. Most of the time you see the rocks from a distance with water in front, etc. I just spotted the muted colors against what was really starting to glow and knew I only had about 30 minutes to do it. The sky becomes darker than some of the light parts of the rocks. These are the times that I love Plein Air, the unexpected is always happening. It is an 8x10.

3 comments:

  1. waw, brilliant one. You really captured well those lights and tones and contrasts in such a short time. Very strong work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those shadow colors are mysterious to identify...you nailed it! That makes the light glowing parts even more fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. You got the colors and values.!

    ReplyDelete