Sunday, September 4, 2011

RIM VIEW

     Before I became a full time painter I used go out to paint and at some point would feel like I wanted to get back home. I really didn't know why, it was just a strong urge. Then I sold all my belongings and became a full time RVer with no phone, computer, mail, or TV. My home was with me all the time, so I didn't have those urges anymore. I just got up and painted outdoors everyday, all day. I have had my new studio/home for about 5 years now and it has already filled up with "stuff". I have a computer, a phone, and mail with a whole bunch of "routines".
     I noticed while on this trip that I was starting to get those urges to get back "home". I realized that I had become attached to my "things" and my "routines". It seems that I lose some of my "freedom" when I get too attached to this "stuff". I have to maintain a balance of my travel, painting, and spiritual things with my material life. It's a hard feeling to describe. Everyone has different "priorities" in their life, and those change with time. My top priority in life is to stay as "free" as I can from all the worldly stuff and all the negative goings on in the world. My job is to turn lead into gold, if you know what I mean?

4 comments:

  1. Love your canyon views. I treasure the one I purchased.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think what you say is perceptive. We get attached to our stuff. It controls us. The function ofthe artist is to both free himself by creating his own vision and free others by sharing that vision. I try to get my students, who often must, of necessity, work from photos in the classroom, to reaize that it's not about "duplicating" the photo (which isn't true anyway) but using it as a jumping off point. I'm loving your distance explorations. Wish I could come paint with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your viewpoint on personal freedom is especially poignant to me today after hearing about Carol and David Marine's loss in the wildfire. Although I can definitely see how many things I would no longer have to worry about besides my painting, my heart aches for their material loss also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of your paintings are so fresh and full of vibrant color. I especially loved what you had to say about stuff and freedom. Food for thought for all of us. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete